Basically, a Screen Printing is a kind of printing method applied in print media industries. It is done through manual or semi-automated process.
This printing process was started first time in China. Due to very affordable process point view of capital and manpower investment. This printing method is being adopted worldwide.
I want to share a story about year 1990. I think screen printing business in India was on the peak time. There was a little competition in screen printing sector, The price per unit cost was higher compare to currently, we are talking round about 30 year back. The most popular printing method of that time known as letterpress right now properly runway from the market.
Click here for Screen Printing Solution 24×7
It is a very easy and low-cost investment printing method. Screen printing cost is based on work volume, printing area size and no of printing color to be used. Only opaque color can be print at a time with the help of making a mesh of polyester/nylon synthetic fabric.
Add more printing color, it required to make a new screen and print each time.
Top Screen Printing Product
There is uncounted product that can be printed through screen printing. I want to share some of them which are more demanding product in screen printing industries even in the age of digital printing.
Screen Printing Cloth Types, Quality of materials and their perfect uses
There are several types of screen printing cloth made of NYLON and POLYESTER etc. Each type of cloth is made for special quality of screen printing product.
- 12 No to 30th No cloth used for very rough & tuff product printing Example Ceramic Tile, fine Wood Printing and apply Adhesive on the Paper, Foam, Card Board etc. Where lower no cloth is considered better for thicker layer of adhesive or ink printing.
- 30 No to 60 No. is being used for medium plain surface. Example Sun Pack Printing, Sticker Printing, T-Shirt Printing and Wedding Card Printing.
- When it comes to print very sharp and accurate printing you are suggested to use 60 No to 140, No cloth is used for the fine quality of printing. Example Business Card Printing, Letterhead, Certificate and Stationery Printing.
3 Most Popular Screen Printing Film Making Media
- Direct Film
- Chromoline Film
- 5 Star Film
These three types of film are used for specific product printing even point view of printing quality, long lasting of screen printing film.
Direct Film; This process is used for high volume and recurring printing product mostly, where there is no big issue of printing quality of product as Carton Printing, Wall Printing, Sun Pack Printing and Tin Plate Printing etc. Over all it cost Rs. 20-25/- square foot.
Choromoline Film; It is used for high volume and quality printing product. It is a very harder film capability of high quantity printing product as there are two layer (first direct film + chromoline layer) make it harder.
This types of film is made specially for high quality and long lasting screen printing. You can print through this screen printing film more than 50,000 pcs. Mostly used for UV Coating Film and Routine Printing Job.
Cost per square fit goes not more than 45/-square foot.
5 Star Film; This is the Supreme Quality Printing Screen Printing Film is used for Business Card, Letterhead, Envelope and Invitation Cards etc. To get the best printing result this is used only one time very sharp printing. It is cost Rs.60-70/-square fit.
While preparing a film time factor factor is very important if it is more than required it may very hard to print text properly and if less your film will be damaged
Screen Printing Content Butter Paper/Negative Positive
Your are advised to use negative positive instead of making butter film when it comes to quality printing and long print run. Using butter film produce low quality printing and lesser volume printing. Even though positive cost goes too high compare to butter film but you do not need to produce again and again screen printing film.
Quality of screen printing ink and it’s drying time
There are 3 major type of printing ink
- PVC INK, if we talk about the quality of this ink, it is fully matte finish ink printing, mostly this ink is printed on un coated paper stuff and it dry out within half an hour. After drying it you can feel printed letter little raised out. This is the cheapest quality of screen printing ink. It is not used on shiny paper it may cause print remove sooner.
- VIYNOSHINE INK, it is applied on coated and shine paper to get the best result result. after dry out it leaves a glaze on the printed letter and it take more time to dry up compare to pvc ink and costlier than pvc ink. after dry out it doesn’t raised after drying out
- GLOSS INK this type of ink is applied coated and non coated paper. It takes time to dry out more than 24 hrs. it is the highest raised printing option ink.
- Plastisole Ink it is basically plastic ink it is used for printing on cloth fabric and treated with heat process and fixed on the cloth. These inks are very soft feel and touch.
If you required high raised letter or artwork can be applied embossed and de-bossed printing.
What are the essential thing that make your screen printing quality imaging?
- Use the best quality and appropriate cloth for each printing object.
- Always use positive / negative in place of butter paper for making a film.
- Never use tored cloth even it is little.
- Open a film to be printed is a game of exposed time use digital to get the best result.
- Each time use screen printing cloth according fit to printing object perfectly.
How Does a Screen Printing Frame is Made?
A mess is stretched over the frame tightly with the help of quick fix, where a frame stands for wooden or aluminium frame keeping the standard depth at least 1.5”-2.0” to keep ink inside and squeeze around the frame properly and it is known as silkscreen frame.
A kind of concentrated liquid (Emulsion) potassium dy-chromate is applied on the screen to block the screen mess, after making silkscreen have to prepare artwork which has to get print.
How does screen printing method work, required equipment and raw materials?
- Ink and ink dilute chemical (Amile and Nytro)
- Rack to dry up product
- Table with screen attachment
- Tube/mercury bulb 2000 watt
- The film sensitizer and emulsion
- Nylon or polyester fabric
- Film exposure instrument
- Spray or running water tab
- Bleach powder to washout used frames
- Darkroom for making film
Types of Screen Printing
There are 3 types of Screen Printing Process
- Flat Printing
- Round Printing
- Rotary Printing
In flat printing, every thin or thick can be print flat items except as well as paper, cardboard, t-shirt, wedding card, plastic panel, aluminium panel etc.
Round stuff, as well as the bottle, pen and all cylindrical items, are printed in round printing Only one colour can be print at a time in this method. To add more color required a separate screen.
There are various types of ink used in different types of object. Some of them are water soluble and some are toxic chemical based
1 PVC Ink
2. Vynoshine Ink
3. Gloss Ink
4. Plastisol ink
5. Water soluble ink
All these types of ink are used specialized for textile, paper, metal and non-metal object to get the best silk printing result point view of longevity, fixing on object and price.
- For textile printing, eco-friendly and water-soluble inks are being used.
- Printing on shiny stuff vynoshine ink is used for matching object.
- To get the letter raised printing special ink is applied known as Gloss Ink it get more time to dry properly 24-30 hrs. Raised letter printing height comes up to 0.2-0.3 m and get more raised letter process as embossed letter
- For matte finish printing look apply PVC ink only.
Top 3 Branded Screen Printing Ink Quality
- Sunglow Ink Company
- Rainbow Ink Company
- Kohinoor Ink Company
Above mentioned 3 brand are master ink maker company as well my experience i never got any complain about colour remove from object, during printing session, concentration, or dilution etc. These brand ink available each variety in packing of 300 gm, 500 gm and 1000 gm.
If we compare about pricing you will find little costlier but indirectly cheap and best option.
How to prepare to screen printing mesh?
- First of all a design is made through handmade or computer.
- Prepare a silk mesh according to content and object where have to get print.
- Get printed on tracing paper or make positive.
- Make a emulsion with potassium di-chromate chemical ration of 20: 1 is applied on frame with the help of squeezed equal coating and kept it dry properly in dark room.
- Keep tracing paper on the potassium di-chromate applied and properly dry out silk screen already made, keep in mind it must be airless between screen and tracing paper you may apply oil as well as kerosene oil to adhere with screen.
- Get it expose in the sunlight or mercury bulb depending content how bold is it may be 1 minute to 1.5 minute as well as tensity of light.
- Remove tracing paper and apply speedy running water till potassium di-chromate remove (unmasked) from content area and remain became harder (masked)
- Leave frame dry out.
- Apply coating on unwanted hole on the screen
- So the screen is ready to print. ink passed through an unmasked area with the help of squeezed and rest area remains as per remain substrate color.
Small letter printing upto 8-10 pt required very high quality nylon cloth comes 500-600 INR per meter. Gap among threads are very closer and printing quality produce very neat and clean.
This cloth is mainly used for letterhead printing, Business Card, Invitation Card, Envelope Printing etc.
Sunpack and cloth banner nylon screen quality
Adhesive applied manual from making strong stickers gap between threads are very far easily pass high volume adhesive. Mostly used 3o no. cloth for screen printing sunpack and Guming works. Price per meter comes INR 75 to 100.
T-shirt Printing, Tiles Printing, Sunpack, Cloth Banner etc mostly printed this quality of cloth.
Apply Adhesive Screen Cloth
keep on screen and expose in the light for the specific required time, are covered with artwork (Text or image required to print) come into the expose that totally washed out from water force. And remain area (out of text and image) became harden. So the screen is ready to use. Object what have got to print keep beneath the screen and apply ink pressure by rubber on the frame and typically ink pass out on the object in the layer of ink you required so final print is ready. If the design you want to print more than one colour you have to make each separate silk screen.
How to select a silk printing cloth quality for long variety of products?
There are various types of products made by silk Printing
A. Business Card
D. Tag and Label
Bold Content Printing
- Wedding Card
- Wall Printing etc.
- T-shirt Printing
- Gumming Screen
- Cartoon Printing
- Carry Bag
Printing quality of product is based on quality of fabric used in screen printing.
Depends on color fabric light or dark according choose cloth no as 50 on the ward where 50 stands for threads per inch darker threads lower no to get the best opaque colour
Printing on Paper and Cardboard
3. The reason why we must follow screen printing?
- Can be print any thickness.
- Basic setup cost is less compared to offset printing.
- Sooner turnaround.
- Any type of stuff can be print (Wood, Cloth, Paper, Plastic, Metal, Rubber, Foam etc.)
5. Important software knowledge for screen printing
These software are used for professional design work you must be knowledge if want to be professional screen printer.
Screen printing V/S offset printing :
- Low processing cost
- No boundary of stuff thickness
- Minimum turnaround period
- Can be print stuff odd and even
- Per unit low cost
- Image and content printing low quality
- Very slow printing speed
- Limited size print-ability
- Very difficult to match the registered color
- Color consistency unequal
Finally, we came to know that the screen printing method is a very short and low investment process, only a single opaque color can be printed at a time, add more color required to do repeatedly above said process.
In Screen Printing method, even it may be round, curved, even or odd surface for low volume printing can be printed
The printing substance has a large variety. Visiting Card, Envelope, Letterhead, T-shirt, Invitation Card, Sun Pack and many more items can be printed at economical rates.
How much required investment in Screen Printing Startup Business?
No required more money to screen printing startup business.
INR 1,00,000 to 125000/- much enough but make sure before start your business research your market about job.
How much a screen printer deserve salary?
Now a screen printing expert salary start from Rs. 15,000-40,000/- depending on work experience he deserve it. Person who does work as a supervisor get Rs.40,000 plus.
Standard size and screen printing frame stuff made of?
1. Wooden Screen Printing Frame
Fast moving frame are 12″x18″, 15″x20″, 20″x30″ Usually, you can buy it ready made. These Frame are made of wooden. Smaller size frame used manual printing purpose. If you required custom size email to me.
2. Aluminium Metal Screen Printing Frame
These frames come in heavyweight and being used automated screen printing method especially for textile printing, UV coating, high breed coating, etc. This frame life is over the years. The weight of a metal frame goes higher compared to a wooden frame.
What is the perfect size screen printing frame?
A perfect frame size stands for a frame that helps to make maximum production on a specific size of object printing. A-frame required a bigger size from the object have to get print it as to move squeeze freely and ink as much bigger size produce low production.
Think before you start your screen printing start up business!
- Research your local market
- Avoid residential location if you start in metro city
- Printing area must be ventilated as chemical used in screen printing are toxic.
How long a screen printing cloth last?
The age of a cloth depends on the quality of material used nylon or polyester. Usually, a cloth last upto 10,000-20,000 impression onward where a impression count as quantity of printing object.
How to wash a screen printing perfectly?
There are various factor why ink does not wash out properly. some of them reason i want to share with you
- Low quality of screen printing cloth used
- Improper use of tape before start printing
- After screen printing printer left ink in the frame etc.
- Specially when you are applying gloss color ink wash out frame instantly.
These are the major factor. if you want to come over it there are some tips you must follow
- Use good quality of screen printing cloth.
- Always used certified material (bleach powder, detergent, sponge etc) to wash out ink
- After finished printing work extract out ink properly from the screen printing frame and whip out dilute.
- When ink is so hard you apply chemical on it and leave it for a long time.
- When film is too hard to wash apply sodium carbonate (caustic soda liquid) that make easy to wash chemical but make sure for little time other wise it may harm your screen printing cloth.
Pain Point of Screen Printing
Where screen is in budget printing process it has some pain point related to quality.
- There is limitation to print in big size accuracy
- You can’t get print gradient in screen printing compare to digital or offset printing.
- Smaller text size print ability.
Are you facing problem with screen printing method or want to start a screen printing business?
Like, share, leave a comment, subscribe to a newsletter
We are ready to help you in this regard
Are You ready too?Click here